- Attend school every day except when ill.
- Attend every class on time (school begins at 7:37am).
- Report absences to the attendance office when a phone call by parent or present a note from a parent.
- Present a re-admit card from the Attendance Office to every teacher.
- Provide a doctor's note for absences that are longer than three days.
Immediately upon arriving at school following an absence of one or more days, the student must present a note to the Attendance Office. Unexcused absences are considered truants and will be dealt with accordingly.
Information Required on all Notes and Telephone calls
- Student Name
- Date of Absence(s)
- Reason for Absence
- Name of person clearing the absence (parent/guardian)
Truancy is defined as any absence from school without parent knowledge and/or permission. Any of the following will be considered class truancy AND MAY BE CITED BY POLICE ($140 TICKET):
- Failing to attend class and not having a valid excuse
- Leaving any class under false pretenses
- Leaving a class or school grounds without permission
- Being reported by a staff member on campus during an all-day absence
- 15 or more minutes late to class
- Teachers will immediately take roll when the tardy bell rings.
- Any students coming in after roll has been taken will be marked tardy.
- Students late to class 15 minutes or more are considered truant.
- Each time a tardy or truancy occurs, students will be assigned a detention which must be completed within 2 detention days (i.e. if tardy on Wednesday, detention must be served Wednesday or Thursday with the detention slip to the teacher by Friday/ if tardy on Friday, detention must be served Tuesday or Wednesday with the detention slip to the teacher by Thursday.)
- Failure to complete detention within two detention days will result in a referral to the office.
Bell Gardens High School takes period by period attendance. Student's home will automatically be contacted if the students is marked absent during any one period of school. After three consecutive days of absence, an Attendance Officer will make a home visit to contact parent regarding the absences.
Students with perfect attendance will be honored and recognized at Recognition Assemblies throughout the year. In order to qualify for perfect attendance a student must:
- Not have any full day absence
- Not have any tardies to any class
- Not leave school early on a permit to leave school grounds