The process of choosing a college is one that will begin in your freshman or sophomore year. When considering a college, there are several things to think about:
- Do you want to commute, live at home, or live on campus?
- Is it a large or small campus?
- Are the class sizes large or small?
- Does the school offer the major you want?
- Is the major impacted? How competitive is it?
Be sure to arrange a visit to all the campuses you are considering. When you visit:
- Plan to visit on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday so you get a sense of how many students are on campus at a time.
- Arrange with Campus Tours to sit in on a lecture and a discussion section to get a feel for the classroom settings.
- Arrange with Campus Tours to talk with a student about their experiences on that campus.
As you narrow down your choices, choose colleges that fall in the following categories:"My A List" - These are your "dream" schools."My B List" - These are "good" schools that you would be happy to attend."My C List" - These are your "back up" schools that you are confident of your acceptance.
Here are some helpful websites to help you explore college campuses and discover which ones you should consider:
Campus Compare - Compare college campuses side by side